The Awesome Theory

Site Home
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Important announcement on the main page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:36 pm 
Awesome Dragon
Awesome Dragon

I wrote a relatively important announcement on the main page today - simply click the "AT Home" link in the breadcrumb navigation at the top of any forum page to read it. Pu your reactions/comments/questions in this thread if you like.

Post subject: Re: Important announcement on the main page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:43 pm 
Ninja
Ninja

Do I have to pu? Can't we just talk about it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:44 pm 
President Skroob
President Skroob

I hear you on the decline in visitorship. It does kinda seem less social than it used to. I think that may be the root of the problem.

You know, ironically enough, I think that the popularity of monsters may have hurt the site. On the one hand, you got to fight monsters so you didn't have the urge to fight each other any more. That hurt the competetive nature of dueling and the social interaction that would occur around it. On the other hand, it kinda killed your betting system as there were no duels to bet on.

I think the following would help out greatly:

- Instead of random monster fights, implement random user fights, hopefully against people that are currently online.
- Rescale your system to better value time spent on social aspects. I know you've done this to some extent, but I think more can be done.
- Rescale the mullets/items so that we don't feel like we're all done and don't have anything else to accomplish. Give us something to reach for.

More ideas later. Wife yelling...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:45 pm 
Ninja
Ninja

This is not AWESOME.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:27 pm 
Incarnation of Awesome
Incarnation of Awesome

Well I've been meaning to post about this but the EQ system kinda made me want to not do anything. Too complex. Not sure what else to say about it. And I agree with a lot of what ranger said.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:29 pm 
Incarnation of Awesome
Incarnation of Awesome

Maybe not take monsters away completely either though. Maybe keep them in the arena or something???

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:00 pm 
Awesome Dragon
Awesome Dragon

First, thanks for the ideas and input - I always appreciate that.

rangermk wrote:
You know, ironically enough, I think that the popularity of monsters may have hurt the site. On the one hand, you got to fight monsters so you didn't have the urge to fight each other any more. That hurt the competetive nature of dueling and the social interaction that would occur around it. On the other hand, it kinda killed your betting system as there were no duels to bet on.

I think you are right that monsters are the main contributing factor in killing the social aspects of the site. I think it could have been avoided in I would have realized this ahead of time. Hindsight is 20/20

rangermk wrote:
- Instead of random monster fights, implement random user fights, hopefully against people that are currently online.

The idea to have random user vs. user fights is a good one and I'll put that into consideration. However, I am not going to take away random monster fights.

rangermk wrote:
- Rescale your system to better value time spent on social aspects. I know you've done this to some extent, but I think more can be done.

This is a process that I will continue to do. One thing will be to increase and diversify what you can get using Dragon Mullets.

rangermk wrote:
- Rescale the mullets/items so that we don't feel like we're all done and don't have anything else to accomplish. Give us something to reach for.

I have played AT longer and for more hours than anyone, and there is still plenty for me get. I am not maxed out, not even close. So, I feel there is always something to reach for. However, balance is lacking in the entire mullet/item system. It does need some work.

Here is a preview of what I expect to do.

First, and most significant, I am going to separate the site into a community side and a game side, and these halves are not really going to interact. For example, you won't find monsters when answering questions of the day or voting on things. But, doing those things will still help you in the game side.

Monsters are going to be reworked to have levels.

Levels will likely change to needing a static amount per level, like 1000xp, and monsters with lower levels will give you less. This will make buying exp with dragon mullets actually reasonable when you reach higher levels.

Combat will no longer be hero based (i.e. you are fighting stuff on your own), it will be party based - you will have 4 characters to develop and mold and use to fight monsters. Due to this, you will no longer be able to invite other users into your fight. Also, equipment will be simplified and the number of different types reduced, to avoid the massive headache of dealing with 4 people in the current system. You'll still be able to fight with your party against another person's party, though.

Classes will be totally reworked. There will be 4 archetypes instead of the current three (Engineer will join Warrior, Rogue, and Mage). CP will go away and class advancement will be based on time in class. AP will go away and be replaced by master points, which you will use to upgrade attributes and unlock and level up skills.

Parties will progress through a series of zones, each zone having up to a certain strength of monster and a certain power of item, etc. A task will have to be completed before moving up zones.

Combat will switch to a quasi-real time format, where certain moves will take a certain amount of time, so using super moves will take longer to pull off than more simple moves, adding more strategy into the fights, instead of just spamming strong attacks.

And all that is just off the top of my head - I have detailed notes that cover a lot of ground. I may post in more detail what I expect to do sometime soon.

SamuraiPizzaCat wrote:
Well I've been meaning to post about this but the EQ system kinda made me want to not do anything. Too complex.

Beautyrains mentioned something about this also. Have you noticed that I made the system easier recently? I took away the different types of slots, along with penalties for stacking same mulleteria into the same piece of equipment. Now slots just have levels to worry about.

That may not be simple enough for you, I dunno, but regardless, the system will be getting more simple. My thought is that equipment will be a mix of the two systems - pieces will have several ingrained stats, and a couple slots to add custom effects.

Thoughts/questions/comments?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:28 pm 
President Skroob
President Skroob

It seems like you're on the right track. Just continue listening exclusively to people from Spaceballs, and you'll do just fine. Spaceballs.... Spaaaaaaacebaaaaalls....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:53 pm 
Incarnation of Awesome
Incarnation of Awesome

Well Spaceballs are all about improvement of the system.....so they can take advan...er...so they can help the world rid itself of its precious oxygen. Wait. No that's not what I meant. Dangit. Who put a microphone here?

I also haven't had much time for AT because of school so if the system has gotten easier I haven't been able to pay too much attention to it. But I'll look at it closer and write out my thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:55 pm 
President Skroob
President Skroob

On't-day ell-tay uck-Bay e-thay iuld-gay's ecret-says, upid-stay!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:30 pm 
Incarnation of Awesome
Incarnation of Awesome

Maybe take the double rank system away or allow for each level of "awesome" opens up a tier or two of classes that you can switch too. I finally had this insight after months of double ranks bugging me. But then it would require SP to be reworked too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:16 pm 
Awesome Dragon
Awesome Dragon

SamuraiPizzaCat wrote:
Maybe take the double rank system away or allow for each level of "awesome" opens up a tier or two of classes that you can switch too. I finally had this insight after months of double ranks bugging me. But then it would require SP to be reworked too.

I assume by double rank, you are meaning rank and class. Yes, that is going to be reworked. I am going to rework this thing by making it so that people have parties of up to four characters, who will each have classes and levels and such. Users will probably still have ranks and such, but it won't be based on Axioms or votes or whatever -- it will probably be based on their progression in the game.

Maybe, though, I'll allow people to have their own avatars and such. We'll see.